An Unforgettable Weekend
Mark your calendars and plan for an action-packed weekend full of hanging out with friends, battling in intense clan wars, energetic worship, and powerful evening services! James River Youth Retreats are a life-changing experience for many students and often play a pivotal role in the journey of discovering who God is and what He has called and purposed them to be.
9.12 Retreat | March 22-24, 2019
For students currently in 9th-12th grade
6.8 Retreat | March 29-31, 2019
For students currently in 6th-8th grade
Safe and Encouraging
Trained and approved leaders are placed in a variety of roles to help provide a safe and encouraging environment for every student. Each weekend will also feature on-site security that will be present throughout the Retreat, including to and from the James River Camp site.
Retreats feature a variety of sessions that are designed to lead students into the presence of God through energetic worship, powerful messages and a focused time of prayer.
Every student is placed in a “clan” that will battle in various team competitions throughout the weekend.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many students and leaders are on a team?
Students are placed on a team of approximately 20-25 students. Each team will have 2-4 trained and approved volunteer leaders.
How are leaders selected?
Every retreat leader and volunteer has completed a comprehensive approval through James River Church, that includes:
- Completed and approved volunteer application
- Criminal background check
- Mandatory Youth Retreat orientation
What is the food like?
A professional and caring food team prepares all the delicious and healthy size meals for the Retreat. We also feature a “Snack Shack” where students are able to purchase items such as candy, chips, soft drinks, etc.
What is there to do at Youth Retreat?
In addition to the team competitions and the evening services, James River Youth Retreats give students an opportunity to hang out with friends in a safe environment.
The James River Camp we will be staying at features:
- Outdoor pavilion that includes multiple basketball courts
- Wide open fields for soccer and other field sports
- Athletic tournaments, such as 3-on-3 basketball
- Walking trails
Will there be swimming?
While James River Camp does feature a beautiful lake and swimming pool, swimming will not be available during the retreat weekend due to the usual colder temperatures.
When/Where will I drop off and pick up my child?
Check-in for Retreat will be at the James River Youth Center (SOUTH CAMPUS ONLY) at 4:00pm. Buses will depart immediately following orientation.
Buses will return at approximately 4:00pm at JRC - SOUTH CAMPUS ONLY on Sunday, outside of the James River Youth Center.
Where can I find the Medical Provider Permission form for over-the-counter medications?
You can download the Medical Provider Authorization form here.
Where can I upload the Medical Provider Permission form?
Once you have downloaded and completed the Medical Provider Permission form, you can upload that document here.
What do I bring to Youth Retreat? What do I not bring?
- Sleeping bag or bedding for a twin size bed
- Personal hygiene items
- Clothing (see Retreat Dress Code for guidelines)
- Money for Snack Shack (optional)
- Camera (optional)
Don't bring this...
- Cell phone or other personal electronics (i.e. MP3 players, tablets, iPods, video game devices, etc.)
- Inappropriate clothing (see Retreat Dress Code for guidelines)
- Firearms, knives, fireworks or explosives
- Water guns or water balloons
What is the retreat dress code?
All dress will be modest and appropriate during retreat
- Shirts: No spaghetti straps or shirts that show the stomach
- Shorts/Pants: at least mid-thigh length, no sophies; no yoga or stretch pants without proper cover-up
- Jacket or sweatshirt (for cooler weather)
- Clothing for services (shorts are allowed)
- For shoes: shoes must be worn at all times; old casual/athletic shoes that can get muddy and ruined, additional pair of casual/athletic shoes for normal activities, sandals and/or flip flops are acceptable for non activity times
- No clothing with questionable content
- Retreat director and leadership team will be the final authority on the dress code
Are scholarships available?
Our desire is to see every student experience Youth Retreat this year! In light of that, we are offering scholarship applications to students who need financial assistance. You can apply for a Youth Retreat scholarship by clicking here.
Retreat Registration Is Now Open!
Registration for 2019 Youth Retreat is now open! Click the button below to register.